D-Day – June 6, 1944 – Allied forces invaded Western Europe along an 80-kilometer front in Normandy, France. Out of the nearly 150,000 Allied troops, 14,000 were Canadians. These Canadians assaulted “Juno” beach and Canadian paratroopers landed east of the assault beaches. The Royal Canadian Navy contributed 110 ships & 10,000 soldiers and the R.C.A.F bombed inland targets with 15 R.C.A.F fighter and fighter-bomber squadrons.
Our hangar sits in the same spot as it did nearly 80 years ago as British Commonwealth Air Training Plan base. There are 3 original buildings left standing from the BCATP base. Full of history, these buildings and the 2 cenotaphs, help remind us of those involved with this seaborne invasion.
Today we remember and thank those who led Canada with their sacrifices and bravery, 75 years ago.